Subject: Can't use install disk to put NetBSD on drive on 2nd IDE channel
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/14/1999 01:17:48
I just bought a new hard disk, a 20 gig UDMA/66 drive (not that my
drive controller does UDMA/66, but it'll still be a nice fast IDE
drive). For whatever reason, it insists on being attached to my
secondary IDE controller.

I figured that I'd do a fresh install of NetBSD 1.4.1 on this
drive. Unfortunately, the install disk doesn't seem to include support
for the secondary IDE controller.

I assume this was done in order to make a small enough kernel to fit
on a 1.4 meg floppy. Still, it'd be nice if there was a way.

Can I boot from my current partition on /dev/sd0a which includes
support for the 2nd IDE channel and then somehow mount the install
floppy and run sysinst from it? Or, is an install floppy available
with support for the 2nd IDE channel?

Thanks for any help.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net