Subject: Fw: Can't hear any sound
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/10/1999 17:26:04
>Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 06:50:43 -0600
>To: netbsd-help@netbsd.org
>From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
>Subject: Re: Can't hear any sound
>So it appears that the problem was in the mixer or volume control not
being turned on by default.  Any suggestions before I start repeated
rebooting to figure out what controls need to be set?

After rebooting, checking the mixer settings, and trying again, I
discovered that it wasn't just audioplay which enabled the sound; it was
"audioplay -v 255".  With the default volume of 128, I could actually hear
the sound if I turned my amplifier on ALL THE WAY UP, WHICH MEANS THE SOUND
MUST BE *VERY* FAINT IF I CAN BARELY HEAR IT ON A 100 WATT STEREO SYSTEM.
Even with the volume setting at 255, I have to turn the stereo volume up to
4(/10), which is higher than it needs to be when playing MS-DOS games
(which play at less than 3/10).

It looks like Reinoud Koornstra has experienced the same problem.  Is this
an AWE-64 specific issue, or a problem with the SoundBlaster driver in
general?

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown