Subject: Re: Swap sizes vs. physical memory.
To: None <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/1999 16:50:42
Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca> writes:
>2) if you want a full core dump after a crash, swap space must
>   be as large as physical memory (or a bit larger?)

It's more complicated then that.  You have to keep in mind that you can
configure multiple swap partitions and files for use as swap space.
However, kernel crash dumps are currently written to a single swap
partition only.  That is normally the first configured swap partition.
It should be slightly larger then the amount of RAM because of the dump
header, I think.

Note, that starting with 1.4 you can change the dump device with "swapctl -D".

>4) four times physical memory is a relic of the past, with
>   today's typically large amount of physical memory, the
>   recommendation should be somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0 times
>   physical memory (or should that be 1.x and 2.0 ?)

With todays large disks and because I might add RAM later, I usually
make the first swap partition a bit over twice the size of RAM.  That
way I have some room for growth.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)