Subject: Re: Question about sup.
To: Reinoud Koornstra <Reinoud.Koornstra@ibbnet.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/06/1999 09:28:46
On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:

> Currently i use netbsd 1.4
> I really wish to upgrade to 1.4.1
> This can be done with sup easilly i believe...
> I wish to get all the source here from 1.4.1 with sup and then compile all
> of it from scretch,,, and then i guess i'll have 1.4.1 right?

Yes. In the general case, you would "make build" twice to build the
system with the new compiler and tool-chain, but 1.4 -> 1.4.1 doesn't
materially change anything in that area.

> current-release=allsrc host=sup.netbsd.org etc. does that mean... i get
> all the possible new source on my system..? or do i have to add doc,
> pkgsrc, security and xsrc as well in the file as well to get all the
> source?

"allsrc" does not include pkgsrc, security, nor xsrc.

> Currently i use sup to upgrade my packages only.... but i wish to upgrade
> the whole system to 1.4.1 Could you maybe give me a sample of a file wich
> completly upgrades all source of your system?

/etc/supfiles/coll.list:

current release=pkgsrc host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/ftp/pub
  base=/usr prefix=/usr delete use-rel-suffix
current release=xsrc host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/ftp/pub
  base=/usr prefix=/usr delete use-rel-suffix
release release=allsrc host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/ftp/pub
  base=/usr prefix=/usr delete use-rel-suffix
release release=security host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/ftp/pub
  base=/usr prefix=/usr delete use-rel-suffix

(lines wrapped for clarity.)

/etc/supfiles/coll.what:

current release=pkgsrc base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix
current release=xsrc base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix
release release=allsrc base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix
release release=security base=/usr prefix=/usr use-rel-suffix

If this is your first sup, it will take a _long_ time to run, but
other than that, you should have no problem. If you already have the
1.4 sources, on the other hand, you're possibly better off just
downloading the patches.

Just remember to update "config" and configure and build your kernel
first!