Subject: HP 2100se laserjets.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/1999 09:36:18
After some thought and poking around, I decided that the HP 2100se
LaserJet was a reasonable printer for what I wanted.  Cheaper would have
been nicer, of course, but I'm happy with this.

I have two questions:

.) Is there a better GhostScript driver to choose than ``lj5gray''?
Going with other options various produced substantially lower quality,
printed gibberish, or caused the printer to emit a short ``PCL XL error''
report.  It took a bit of time (and several pages) to reach this
selection, but I might have overlooked one...  (I made an effort to try
every driver that seemed to hint at PCL/PCL XL/LaserJet type support.)

.) Currently, I have the output from GhostScript dumping directly through
the interrupt-driven parallel-port.  This seems to send a LOT of data, and
while it's sending the data the computer (at least X, especially the
mouse) becomes jerky.  Is this unavoidable, or is there something that I
can do to make the parallel port less demanding of system resources?
(Well, is there a way if I don't want to throw more hardware at the
situation?)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com