Subject: Question about supported SCSI cards
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Orosz <orosz@pacbell.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/1999 00:02:48
Hi,

I suspect your online info is complete, but does NetBSD really not support
the Adaptec 2930?  I'm a bit surprised if so, since I'd think the 2930 would
be more common than some of the other more expensive Adaptecs, not to
mention
the other cards supported.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found out about NetBSD!  I've been using commercial
UNIX for years, and have just now had a need to find an open one for my
Power Mac.  Linux sounds like the hot stuff until you look into it a bit.
I really like your porting philosophy and driver model.  Now if I could just
run it... I'm looking at ~$100 for a SCSI card and ~$200 for a disk just to
get started, assuming one of the $100 cards (Adaptec 2930 :-) would do the
job.  I'd really like not to have to spend $200+ for a card I'm only going
to put one cheap disk on.

Thanks, and I definitely appreciate all of the great work so far; I'm by all
means not complaining at all here.  Ooo, the other question I suppose is
when
Mac partitioning will be recognized, so I wouldn't have to buy any new stuff
in the first place.

Thanks again,
Jim Orosz
orosz@pacbell.net