Subject: Re: Question about supported SCSI cards
To: Jim Orosz <orosz@pacbell.net>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/1999 02:06:29
In message <199909050703.AAA25377@mail-gw.pacbell.net>, Jim Orosz writes:
>I suspect your online info is complete, but does NetBSD really not support
>the Adaptec 2930?  I'm a bit surprised if so, since I'd think the 2930 would
>be more common than some of the other more expensive Adaptecs, not to
>mention
>the other cards supported.

I wish I knew; I'm sure I used to own a 2930, but I can't, for the life of
me, figure out what I did with it.

>Anyway, I'm glad to have found out about NetBSD!  I've been using commercial
>UNIX for years, and have just now had a need to find an open one for my
>Power Mac.  Linux sounds like the hot stuff until you look into it a bit.
>I really like your porting philosophy and driver model.  Now if I could just
>run it... I'm looking at ~$100 for a SCSI card and ~$200 for a disk just to
>get started, assuming one of the $100 cards (Adaptec 2930 :-) would do the
>job.  I'd really like not to have to spend $200+ for a card I'm only going
>to put one cheap disk on.

I believe the NetBSD "ncr" driver handles the current Symbios chips, yes?
Tekram DC390 or whatever it is (*NOT* any model ending in 5) is an ultra wide
SCSI card for about $80-100.  Adaptec is way overpriced.

Hope this helps.

-s