Subject: Re: Swap sizes vs. physical memory.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/1999 16:24:46
According to Richard Rauch:

>My understanding is that total virtual memory is essentially equal to
>physical RAM + swap-size.  Correct?  And, although a swap-size of approx.
>4x physical memory is recommended, there's no particular condition on the
>size of the swap paritition.  Correct?

I don't know if UVM has changed this requirement but, yes, there was a
lower limit on the amount of swap you had (I suspect UVM has lifted
this but...).  In older BSD systems you needed to have at least the
same amount of swap as you had physical RAM because each memory page
needed to be backed by a swap page.  The old rule of thumb was at
least twice the physical RAM size was a good swap size to give you
some pages for data.

In any event if you expect to analyse kernel core dumps then you need
a single swap partition big enough to hold the memory image.