Subject: Swap sizes vs. physical memory.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/1999 23:18:46
I currently have a default-sized swap partition (i.e., 4x my physical
memory).  I am thinking of dropping in some more memory---which should
give me more than 4x my current memory.  (I don't need that much memory,
but if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well put in ``enough'' to last a
while.)

My understanding is that total virtual memory is essentially equal to
physical RAM + swap-size.  Correct?  And, although a swap-size of approx.
4x physical memory is recommended, there's no particular condition on the
size of the swap paritition.  Correct?

(I.e., I don't want to, at this time, repartition my system just because
I'm increasing my memory---and I would like to get _some_ benefit from my
current swap partition, even though it will be smaller than physical
memory.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com