Subject: Mac G3 booting...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wes Peters <wpeters@xylan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/1999 14:01:30
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am attempting to install NetBSD-1.4.1 on a Mac G3.  So far, I've ftp'd
the entire distribution to a local disk and used dd to create a boot
floppy.  I discovered the vulcan nerve pinch to get the Mac to the Open
Firmware prompt, and disabled auto-boot so I don't have to do that again.

Now I cannot get it to boot from the lovely boot floppy I created.  So far,
I have tried "boot fd" and "boot swim3" since both seem to name the floppy
drive, but each time the Mac just spits the floppy in my face and merrily
boots MacOS.

We have no use for MacOS on this machine, and the current user has grown
tired of fighting with Linux.  I'd really like to get NetBSD on it, to
match several SPARCstation 5's we have upgraded to NetBSD.  If anyone can
assist me in accomplishing this, I will greatly appreciated it.  I'd like
to write a column about this for Daemon News at some point in the future,
too, so here's your chance to get your name "in the lights."  ;^)

If we have to setup a bootp/dhcp/tftp server and netboot it, I can do
that, but I'd rather not.  I have access to a cd-rom burner, so if
someone can tell me how to drive mkisofs into making a Mac-bootable
CD-ROM, that is an option.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Please respond directly to this address, as I am not subscribed to the
netbsd-help list (yet).

--
Wes Peters                                          Who's going to save you
Principal Engineer                                   When you're a slave to