Subject: Re: Serial Printing Problems
To: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/1999 11:02:47
According to Christoph Badura:

>derry.birse@ind.alstom.com writes:
>
>>I am nearing my wits end with regard to setting up a serial port connection to
>>an HP DeskJet 550c on a Sun 3/60 running NetBSD 1.3.2, can anyone help?
>
>>I can print text files without any problems, however when I send a graphics file
>>generated by ghostscript it manages one raster line and then proceeds to print
>>gibberish.
>
>My first guess would be that the tty driver is doing LF->CR/LF conversion.
>Maybe changing the output mode with the ms= string helps.

My guess would be flow control.  You should be using hardware flow
control to the printer.  I don't know if HP changed their policy on
this but when I was playing with a HP PaintJet they were using the DTR
line to do flow control - I made up a cable that wired the DTR to the
CTS on the computer side.