Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD 1.4.1 from floppy
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/28/1999 10:42:51
    Frederick> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Claude Marinier wrote:

    >> 2) One of you could tell me how to make a boot floppy that will boot
    >> from wd1a:netbsd by default.

    Frederick> Don't know, but you could build a kernel that mounts wd1a as
    Frederick> root, and put that on the floppy. It's easy to build a plain

  That's actually more effort.
  BTW: Claude, if you have a DOS/Windows boot on your NT partition, you
can use dosboot.exe, which may be the simplest. You can even put this on
a DOS boot floppy if you want.

  But, to make a NetBSD boot floppy that will use wd1a:

  Grab a floppy, blank will do.

  cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot
  vi main.c

Do something like:
*** main.c.orig Sat Aug 28 10:41:32 1999
--- main.c      Sat Aug 28 10:41:47 1999
***************
*** 234,239 ****
--- 234,240 ----

        /* try to set default device to what BIOS tells us */
        bios2dev(boot_biosdev, &default_devname, &default_unit);
+       default_unit = 1;
        default_partition = 0;

        /* if the user types "boot" without filename */

  Compile in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand, install and then use
/usr/mdec/installboot.
  Maybe there is a better way.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.