Subject: Re: setting ppp to dial when modem turned on?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/27/1999 16:16:49
>A long time ago on one of the lists, someone explained their ppp setup,
>which was configured to dial the modem when it was turned on, then kill
>ppp when the modem was turned off.

To my knowlege, modems don't issue anything upon power-up, so you would
HAVE to have a hardware solution to "watch" for the power-up and then send
some signal to NetBSD (X10?). Seems like a helluva hack for something that
I would consider a fairly non-issue. I just leave the modem on. Either way,
you've got to issue at least 1 command...either a physical command such as
turning on the modem or a ppp-up command from within NetBSD.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.