Subject: Re: ld.so and elf in real life (well mine at least)
To: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
From: Pierre Bourgin <Pierre.Bourgin@lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/1999 14:37:20
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Marc Schneiders wrote:

[...]
 > I suppose it may very well (have to study it tomorrow), even though this is
 > about the other way around: upgrading to ELF, while I want to 'degrade' my
 > system to use some aout. Should have read that file of course when setting
 > up the snapshot. Apologies. And thanks for the reply!
 > Still, it seems a big 'break', the introduction of ELF without some
 > 'support' for those poor people like me who still want to run precompiled
 > only aout binaries. Just saw a similar case in a port-i386 list message. I
 > am not against progress, especially when I do not fully understand it (sic).

Yes, but as far as I know, only NetBSD-current and NetBSD-release
(NetBSD-1.4D also) are in ELF; the 'official' release,
NetBSD-1.4.1 is 'still' in aout.

That's problably why it's a bit confidential.

*Please note* that is my mind about it, and I can misunderstand
some things. Someone clever than me must have a more concise/true
answer .....

 > I hope it doesn't scare off though other potential new users. You will not
 > get rid of me, because I recently acquired an old Sparc IPC :-)

I don't think so; I know someone that has a 3.60 Sun, just for
fun :))))

 > Marc Schneiders
 > marc@oldserver.demon.nl

Pierre Bourgin