Subject: Re: Why doesn't xntpd resynchronize?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/19/1999 05:38:33
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> I just checked the nanokernel stuff; it has specific backwards compatibility
> for ntp3, so putting it in now doesn't even break current ntp3 users.

Hey, that's cool.

One thing that perplexed me when first porting 4.0.92g to NetBSD was
that HAVE_TIMER_SETTIME seems to imply timeval's everywhere, whereas
our timer_gettime() and timer_settime() use timespec's. That's why
detection of those two is disabled in 4.0.92h and above. Now I figure,
that to get any meaningful use out of the nanosecond stuff, you'd want
the loop filter to use timeval's too. So my question is, would not
changing timer_gettime() and timer_settime() to use timeval's break
existing binaries?