Subject: Re: Why doesn't xntpd resynchronize?
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Tom Rushworth <tbr@mannynkapy.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1999 19:24:30
On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:14:02AM -0400, Jim Wise wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >Is installing the net/ntp4 package an option for you? There are a few
> >features in its "bag of tricks" that the in-tree NTPv3 daemon never
> >had, notably "burst modes", that help resync quickly on reconnecting.
> >In fact, this is exactly the reason I became interested in it. All my
> >experimenting lately has been with NTPv4.
>
> Are there any plans to (eventually) bring this in-tree?
>
> - --
> 				Jim Wise
> 				jwise@draga.com

I've been considering trying to produce an NTPv4 package, but I'm just
about to start on another (non-computer) project that will mean I can't
work on NTPv4 until sometime in October :(.

What I have is: NTPv4 working _with_ a clock line discipline for the
cheap (U$120 or so) UltraLink M320 WWVB receiver on NetBSD 1.3.3, i386.
There are some small problems:
       1) It only syncronizes when the debug flag is on,
       2) I stomped all over the machine dependent/independent boundary
	  when I put in the line discipline,
       3) I haven't produced a NetBSD package before,
       4) I don't know enough about NTP to be able to evaluate how
	  well the clock and kernel PLL code is operating :).  The
	  system does seem to have eliminated my motherboard clock
	  drift though.

I had planned to hunt down and kill (1), then talk to some of the NetBSD
core people to get some advice about (2) before plunging into (3).  All
of this will have to wait for two months or so unless someone else wants
to try picking up where I've left off.  (You'll have to supply you own
M320 though :).)

I live a long way from fast net access, so if someone does want to take a
look at a half finished package, email me and I'll look into generating
some diffs to email back - I can't put things up for ftp.

--
Tom Rushworth    tbr@acm.org