Subject: Re: Why doesn't xntpd resynchronize?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1999 15:11:21
>What about ethernet round trip times? If you really need all your
>machines synced to within 1uS of each other, you would practically
>need to put a reference clock on each of them. Some posters on
>comp.protocols.time.ntp do exactly that, but to claim immediate
>practical benefit for the average user would be... deceptive.

Ah, okay, I'm not sure we'd get any benefit from nanokernel on machines
without PPS references attached to them :-)  I was thinking more along
the lines that it would be good to have the capability to have NetBSD
be a good time server.

>If you, or anyone, is willing to do the work, I don't mean to talk you
>out of it. The benefits would be more strategic than immediate: the
>existing binaries break once, but then everything's set for a long time.

I just checked the nanokernel stuff; it has specific backwards compatibility
for ntp3, so putting it in now doesn't even break current ntp3 users.

--Ken