Subject: Re: ld.so and elf in real life (well mine at least)
To: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
From: Pierre Bourgin <Pierre.Bourgin@lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1999 18:59:26
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Marc Schneiders wrote:

 > I've read and reread the recent postings to this list about ld.so and elf and
 > tried to understand them. I have also studied the elf-FAQ. Nevertheless I am
 > completely lost.
 > Situation: installed snapshot of 4 July on an i386 (AMD K6-233 etc, seems
 > unimportant), got the tar files from current, set them up, new kernel, make
 > build. No problems (complaints about IPv6 at boot, but no harm for now). The
 > one program I would like to mainly run on this machine at present is Seti. This
 > is apparently impossible. ld.so. Right.
 > Now the very same program runs fine with 1.4 release on another i386-machine.
 > Having some experience with windows dll files I tried to fix things by copying
 > ld.so as well as ld.so.conf from that machine to the new one. No help. Wrong
 > version of libm.so (even if both numbers are identical!). Moved that one as
 > well. Complaint about the next. So I suppose this is not the way to do it.
 > Now I am not a programmer, nor do I have the brains to become one. I would like
 > to run this program though. I cannot compile it myself, because it is only
 > available in binary form. Any advise?
 >
 > Marc Schneiders
 > marc@oldserver.demon.nl

As I remember, I saw some help in the file :

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/07041999/README

that explains how to pass from an aout system to an ELF one.

In particular, there are some notes on using an a.out program and
a.out libs (use of '/emul/aout' or something like this).

Hope this help !

Pierre Bourgin