Subject: ld.so and elf in real life (well mine at least)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1999 18:08:27
I've read and reread the recent postings to this list about ld.so and elf and
tried to understand them. I have also studied the elf-FAQ. Nevertheless I am
completely lost.
Situation: installed snapshot of 4 July on an i386 (AMD K6-233 etc, seems
unimportant), got the tar files from current, set them up, new kernel, make
build. No problems (complaints about IPv6 at boot, but no harm for now). The
one program I would like to mainly run on this machine at present is Seti. This
is apparently impossible. ld.so. Right.
Now the very same program runs fine with 1.4 release on another i386-machine.
Having some experience with windows dll files I tried to fix things by copying
ld.so as well as ld.so.conf from that machine to the new one. No help. Wrong
version of libm.so (even if both numbers are identical!). Moved that one as
well. Complaint about the next. So I suppose this is not the way to do it.
Now I am not a programmer, nor do I have the brains to become one. I would like
to run this program though. I cannot compile it myself, because it is only
available in binary form. Any advise?

Marc Schneiders
marc@oldserver.demon.nl