Subject: Re: Why doesn't xntpd resynchronize?
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/1999 05:53:07
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Jim Wise wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >Is installing the net/ntp4 package an option for you? There are a few
> >features in its "bag of tricks" that the in-tree NTPv3 daemon never
> >had, notably "burst modes", that help re-sync quickly on reconnecting.
> >In fact, this is exactly the reason I became interested in it. All my
> >experimenting lately has been with NTPv4.
>
> Are there any plans to (eventually) bring this in-tree?

First of all, it's not up to me, but I suppose it would be safe to say
"yes, eventually". It's certainly been brought up a couple of times.

IMO, what's the hurry? The nanotime stuff, which is disabled in the
package, is fairly forward-looking. Little benefit would be obtained
for the majority of hardware available today. (Think V.90!) And also,
the ntp4.x.x distribution is still in pre-release. One recent snapshot
had a wicked bug which caused certain clocks to diverge. There's still
a similar problem with WinNT boxes, but that may turn out to be very
specific to WinNT, or perhaps to the compiler used.

Please try the current state of it before you ask to bring it in-tree.
;-)