Subject: Re: ld.so.conf?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/16/1999 01:50:27
>	I, for one, would like to see an ldconfig mechanism come back to the
>NetBSD ELF implementation, with the option of not using it.  In short, I
>agree with the question in the FAQ about *REALLY *REALLY *REALLY wanting
>ldconfig.  My real-life experience using ELF and not having it says it's a
>good thing, adds flexibility for the end-system administrator, and takes
>the burden off the vendor, who wouldn't take the responsibility anyway, of
>thinking of every path one might choose to use for squirreling a library or
>two.

I have to agree with everything Brian has said.  I think that we're sorta
going backwards here without _some_ way of configuring library search
paths.

HP/UX has a tool for changing the rpath of an already-linked executable.
It seems to me that this would be nearly ideal.  Is such a thing possible
with our ELF implementation?

--Ken