Subject: Re: packages on MacOS X ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/1999 20:45:06
In article <v02140b02b3dade1e83a8@[130.102.4.80]>,
Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>I've read that the package system can be used on a few other OS' such as
>solaris and linux. I'm actually interested in Apple's MacOS X, which should
>be fairly straightforward since they use NetBSD as the userland reference
>(freebsd for kernel).
>
>Does this work ?
>Are there any issues ?
>How do you get started ?

It will probably not be too difficult to get it to work. Alistair
and myself have been working on it, but it is not that easy to
bootstrap at this point.  Having said that, pick up the latest tar
file from pkgsrc and give it a try. It will probably be much easier
to port to than linux or solaris because MacOS X has all 4.4BSD
features that are needed already there.

You just need to get the tar file, read the instructions, run make
and start fixing the problems you find :-)

christos
christos