Subject: Re: ld.so.conf?
To: Arthur <arthur@sevenkings.net>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/1999 19:28:35
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Arthur wrote:

> I was trying to build Midnight Commander, so I tweaked the Makefile to
> also use:
>
>      -Wl,-rpath /usr/local/lib
>
> and it finds the shared library now, so I suppose my guess at the
> correct syntax was OK.  The space after -rpath worries me though.  I
> wonder how it knows to put /usr/local/lib together with -rpath?
not sure.  I actually tend to use
-Wl,-R/usr/local/lib myself as the -R means the same thing and it seems to
be recognised by some compilers which didn't like -rpath.

As for midnight commander, no need to hack on the source on your own.  It
exists as part of the package collection as:

sysutils/gmc   -- Gnome version of Midnight Commander, a free Norton
                  Commander Clone

and

sysutils/mc   -- Midnight Commander, a free Norton Commander Clone

for info on the package system, please see
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

-Dan