Subject: Re: ld.so.conf?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Arthur <arthur@sevenkings.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/1999 18:43:59
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:50:01 -0400 (EDT), mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

>> I don't see any ld.so.conf or ldconfig.  All I see is ld.elf_so in
>> /usr/libexec.
>
>please see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html and in =
particular
>http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html#ldconfig which answers the
>question "There is no ldconfig! No /etc/ld.so.conf!"

Thanks for the pointer.  I see where it says:

> The primary directory locating mechanism is the ``rpath'' search list =
contained
> within the executable image. This search list is set with the -rpath =
directive
> to ld(1). The Posix syntax for passing ld options through the compiler =
front
> end is=20
>
>        -Wl,option,option,...=20

I was trying to build Midnight Commander, so I tweaked the Makefile to
also use:

     -Wl,-rpath /usr/local/lib

and it finds the shared library now, so I suppose my guess at the
correct syntax was OK.  The space after -rpath worries me though.  I
wonder how it knows to put /usr/local/lib together with -rpath?