Subject: RE: Modem support in NetBSD?
To: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@kemper.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/1999 10:47:00
If you are hinting that you want to use one of the new 'softmodems', no.
 These new $20US 56K modems do all of the V.90 processing and compression
in CPU instead of using dedicated hardware on the modem.

The most obvious advantage to this is cost.  Fewer part count results in
lower modem cost.

The disadvantage is support.  Since the OS has to do work for the modem,
your OS has to have the correct code for the appropriate modem.

Example1: USRobotics famous Winmodem is not supported by NetBSD because
all of the negotiation and protocol work is done in software, and (if I
remember right) USR isn't giving the info out on how it works.

Example2: Rockwell, the famous modem chip manufacture, came out with this
great idea around '93 of doing all of the protocol compression via the
CPU(OS) and called it WinDAPI.  To use it you had to use a DLL supplied
by Rockwell.  All other OS were screwed.  Oh yea, and it sucked!  It took
me 2 weeks of hacking to get it work right with Procomm Plus. Side note:
don't get me wrong, I prefer Rockwell based modems, WinDAPI was poorly
implimented.

Now on a positive note, it seems that a majority of these inexpensive 56K
modems all work with the same software, so there *seems* to be some
consistency in design.  So with a little code in hand, it could be done.
 I'm not a NetBSD developer, so I have no idea if such support is planed.

Now if you are going to get a regular modem ($50+US), I don't think it
should be a problem.  Most of them are PnP and register themselfs as
another Com port.

jam