Subject: Canonical vs non-canonical
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/1999 11:48:58

------ =_NextPart_001_01BEE4A7.E626E130

We have a process that we need to be able to process input in, without
having to wait for a CR/NL signal (i.e. non-canonical). However, when we
use stty -icanon, and then try and put the process in the background,
and then type anything in the foreground we get:
 [1] + Suspended (tty output)	./server

How do we allow input processing without a CR/NL being needed, and still
enable the process to run in the background?

Thanks
Bruce Martin

------ =_NextPart_001_01BEE4A7.E626E130

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.1960.3">
<TITLE>Canonical vs non-canonical</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We have a process that we need to be able to process =
input in, without having to wait for a CR/NL signal (i.e. =
non-canonical). However, when we use stty -icanon, and then try and put =
the process in the background, and then type anything in the foreground =
we get:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;[1] + Suspended (tty output)&nbsp;&nbsp; =
./server</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>How do we allow input processing without a CR/NL =
being needed, and still enable the process to run in the =
background?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Bruce Martin</FONT>