Subject: Installing over defective media
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <torellip@arena.sci.univr.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/11/1999 17:24:00
Hello.

I have this problem, I have to install NetBSD1.4 over an HDD which is known
to have bad sectors.
Even if the install phase goes pretty fine (or at least he says there are
no errors in the FS, "mkfs and fsck completed") when it comes to the reboot
I get a huge list of unrecoverable read errors on fsbn-s, and it keeps
retrying reading those (failing).
After rebooting it tries to fsck it but asks for "run fsck_ffs /dev/rwd0e"
(or similar). I try it, but it says the file system is clean (!!).
Taking all my (in)experience with it (this is the first time I try unix
systems) I added the -f parameter (hopefully force?) but says "unable to
read block <somenumber>, continue [yn]", answering yes goes on but no
action is done, the system stll tries to read those defective blocks.
I run for the "man fsck" but man doesn't appear to be on disk (probably
lost in some defective cluster?).
I really don't know how to act ("install over a non-defective HDD" isn't a
good hint), help on what to do would be very appreciated.

Sorry if I could seem stupid but I'm stuck. Thanks for the help in advice.