Subject: solution for garbage characters problem...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/05/1999 21:40:47
For those that have been experiencing the garbage character screen after
exiting from X, I have found a solution that works on my system.

To get rid of the garbage screen simply edit /etc/rc.conf and change the
default value for wscons from NO to YES. Then restart your system. That's
it. There are no changes necessary for /etc/ttys, /etc/wscons.conf,
/etc/rc.wscons, or even the kernel.

With this simple change in place I no longer get the garbage screen. If
anyone reading this is familar with the wscons code, it may be interesting
for you to look at what happens when /etc/rc.wscons is executed and to
figure out how this avoids the garbage screen.

Even if your /etc/ttys is setup to use /dev/console and pc3 you should
set wscons to YES as without it you will most likely continue to receive
the garbage screen.

Regards,

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |