Subject: fsck'ing
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: benjamin p. myers <s1dative@exnet.iastate.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/03/1999 08:20:15
Hey netbsd folk.  All kinds of trouble here.  Perhaps some of you that are
more experienced with netbsd can help me.

Am trying to fsck my root partition.  Here's what i get:

# mount -a
/dev/rz0a: file system not clean; please
fsck(8)                         (to show that it sucks)
# mount
/dev/rz0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/rz0d on /usr type ffs (local)
#

# umount -a                               (suggesting that everything
unmounted alright)
#
mount
/dev/rz0a on / type ffs (local)        (except of course the root
partition)
#

# umount
/
umount: /: Invalid argument           (okay, guess
not)
#

# umount -t ffs /dev/rz0a
/
umount: /: Invalid argument            (try
again)
umount: /: Invalid
argument
#

# mount -t ffs -o rdonly /dev/rz0a /      (decide to go the other
route)
#
mount
/dev/rz0a on / type ffs (local, read-only)       (you'd think it'd be ok to
fsck now)
#

# fsck
/
/dev/rrz0a (No such file or directory)Can't stat
/dev/rrz0a
/dev/rrz0a (No such file or directory)Can't stat
/dev/rrz0a
/dev/rz0a is not a character
device
CONTINUE? [yn]

an't open /dev/rz0a: Device busy                     (guess not)
#

I've tried a few other permutations all with the same result.  so, eh,
what?  do you all have to fsck your root partitions from another one?  or,
much more likely, am i just stupid?

thanks,
ben (newbie)