Subject: Re: Horribly Slow Connection
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasq.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/01/1999 06:57:13
> Sure, from his system to the Remote Access Server, everything should be
> groovy. but when his packets go to a remote system they can't fragment /
> defragment correctly. angelfire had a problem like this months ago,
> Internic had the problem 6 months ago on the main triage server.

We _are_ talking about conventional IP, yes?  (Presumably with most of the
traffic running on TCP?)  I'll be the first to say that I'm not the most
experienced person with networking (though I understand the basic concepts
and have read the ``pink book'' on BSD 4.4, which spent a little time on
networking).  Can you give me a quick sketch of how the packets will get
fragmented such that the receiver can't rebuild them?

(I gather that if you're using something like UDP, the packets won't even
go through if they are too large for an MTU along the way---but we can
assume that that's probably not the problem, here, since he _does_ get
throughput.)

(Along the same lines of thought, then...shouldn't he be totally stalled
(whether on TCP or whatever) if his packets are not being reassembled?)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com