Subject: Horribly Slow Connection
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jimmy Kaplowitz <jim@bway.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/29/1999 20:41:17
Hi, I'm running NetBSD 1.4 on a 486DLC/40 machine named panther as the
gateway to a (currently) two-computer LAN (the other computer is a P200MMX
named clouseau running Red Hat Linux 6.0). Panther has a 33.6kbps modem
installed, but -- and I've tried more than one ISP -- I can't usually even
reach 1.0 kilobytes per second! Certainly almost never 2 KB or greater.
The ISP does support 56kbps modems, so I should theoretically be getting
upwards of 4 KB / sec. Since I've tried multiple ISPs, the problem must be
on my end. The modem is fine - when I connect to the ISP with cu, it
connects at a full 115200 speed. Of course that's the modem, not pppd.
Setting the mtu to 512 and the mru to start as the usually negotiated
value as 1514 doesn't help either.

This is definitely a NetBSD problem, not a Linux problem, because it
happens on both computers, and the modem is on panther, not clouseau.

Help, please! I need to eke decent performace out of my modem - I doubt
I'd get much better results with a brand new one, to be quite honest. I
think I have settings wrong.

Jimmy
jim@bway.net