Subject: problem running qpopper2.53 from inetd
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Doug Junkins <junkins@foghead.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/1999 14:25:37
I'm trying to set up a NetBSD 1.4 box as a POP server.  I've compiled
qpopper2.53 and installed in /usr/local/libexec/popper.  I've made sure
that pop3 is listed in /etc/services at tcp port 110 and I've added the
following line to /etc/inetd.conf:

	pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/popper popper -s

When I try to connect to the pop server (using telnet to port 110), the
server clears the connection immediately.  When I run inetd in debug
mode, it doesn't appear that it's spawning the POP server.  Here's the
output of the debug mode first with a POP connection then a telnet
connection that works:

	crane# inetd -d
	ADD : pop3 proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null) builtin=0 server=/usr/local/libexec/popper
	registered /usr/local/libexec/popper on 4
	ADD : ftp proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null) builtin=0 server=/usr/libexec/tcpd
	registered /usr/libexec/tcpd on 5
	ADD : telnet proto=tcp, wait.max=0.40, user.group=root.(null) builtin=0 server=/usr/libexec/telnetd
	registered /usr/libexec/telnetd on 6
	someone wants pop3
	accept, ctrl 3
	1351 reaped, status 0x100
	someone wants telnet
	accept, ctrl 3
	1352 execl /usr/libexec/telnetd
	1352 reaped, status 0x100

From the client side it looks like:

	matia# telnet crane 110
	Trying 192.147.160.13...
	Connected to crane.foghead.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	Connection closed by foreign host.
	matia# telnet crane
	Trying 192.147.160.13...
	Connected to crane.foghead.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.

	NetBSD/sparc (crane) (ttyp5)

Looks like the POP server is not executed.  Any help you can provide
would be appreciated.

-Doug Junkins