Subject: login dosen't reset the umask. Was: Why login behaves different ...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/1999 00:32:22
First of all thanks to Bruce Anderson for the answers to my previous
questions, they direct me to the problem. I had troubles to get
a ppp connection shut down, if I login to a the user "mailserver",
which I have setup to open the connection and shut it down after
the exchange of mails.

I finaly figured out that the umask is not reset by "login" and
this cause different permisions on the file "/var/run/ppp0.pid",
which is not owned by the user which calls pppd, but by "deamon.wheel".

If I login throu getty the umask was 0 and if I directly login from
an other user, the umask was thaken from there. I think "login"
should not take any values fom a previous unrelated session, if
this is true, should I fill a PR or is it allready knowen?

FYI. I run NetBSD 1.3 i386.

Greetings  from Vienna
Bernd Salbrechter