Subject: Oracle for Linux install on NetBSD/i386 V1.4
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/1999 14:00:12
I have made some progress now at getting the installation to run. Using the linux_lib-2.6.1 from FreeBSD seems
to have worked fine and the installer runs now.

Now I am having a problem with the execution of commands spawned from within a Linux executable I think.

To install oracle you end up with the following:

orainst - shell script
orainst.cm - Linux executable run by the above
unix.stp - script read in by the above and processes commands
Unix commands, defined in the above spawned out of orainst.cm are then run by the OS.

When attempting the install I get the following errors:

An operating system error occurred while trying to spawn 'touch       ?
  ?  /etc/oratab' while redirecting output to ''. (No such file or         ?
  ?  directory.) Would you like to retry the operation, ignore the error,  ?
  ?  or allow the error to be processed by the Installer?

I had a similar error with the readme which I got past with a NO_README=TRUE ; export NO_README
as the script seems to read this env. var before displaying it.

I am not sure what the program can't find. In the README case it was there. Copying the command
from the error window and running it from /bin/sh worked fine. Does the Linux bash maybe have a
different path than /bin/sh and it can't find touch, grep, cat etc.

Since it is spawned from a Linux executable is the program restricted to looking under say:
/emul/linux/bin etc...

Thanks

Scott