Subject: V1.4 and UVM problem
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/21/1999 12:45:44
I received this message on the console of a test box I had installed V1.4 on:

 panic("pagedaemon: clean anon page without backing store?")

I found this under /sys/uvm/uvm_pdaemon.c

Not being a kernel VM expert I have no idea what this means. At the time
amanda was backing up this machine from a remote Amanda server (ie. dump/gzip etc.
were running), I was performing a 'strings' against a file which is about 18MB (this machine
only has 16MB of RAM and 64MB of swap).

Is there anything I can compile into my kernal and type at the debugger prompt to
help with diagnosing this ?

The box is an old Compaq 486/33, 16MB RAM, ahc1542cf, a few SCSI disks, ep0 NIC
card etc. Pretty standard stuff that had been running NetBSD/i386 V1.1 for 3 years up until
2 - 3 months ago.

Is this a known bug in the new UVM ? The reason I was testing this is we are going to
be installing a new Pentium firewall / mail server for a client the first week of August
and they have 3C905TX NICs which seem to be supported in V1.4 and up. If UVM is
still problematic then I may want to revert to V1.3.3 as this server will be supporting
100 - 120 pop3 users an I need it to stay up ;-)

I see bits and pieces of V1.4.1 showing up on the server. Is this on the burner now ?

Thanks
Scott...