Subject: Re: me box freezes solider'n the iceman
To: <>
From: <>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/16/1999 21:09:47
>On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:58:40PM -0300, Hume Smith wrote:

>> I just "upgraded", last night, to 1.4/i386 and kde-1.1.1.  when it gets
"busy", it suddenly locks up.=20

Manuel Bouyer <<bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> suggested:

>One think that can produce this is if the kernel goes to debugger as the
video board is in graphic mode you can't see the ddb prompt.

well, it happened a couple of times when i wasn't in X and i didn't see any
such thing.

>Try this (as root):

>sysctl -w ddb.onpanic=3D0

and i started setting this yesterday; just now it froze and left no coredump
in /, nor that savecore found.

i have a gut feeling it's something in the filesystem.  It seems like the
merest thing will cause it; a context switch moving the pointer into another
window seemed to do it the other night... yet, i've had 'heavy' loading
(LAvg around 7-10, heavy for this thing) and it's gone along happily.=20
Compiling is what's most likely to do it, but not always.  I've even
compiled two big things at once...

Sweet mystery, isn't it?  If it hadn't started with the upgrade to 1.4 (as
in, like, within an hour of it), i'd blame something else.

--

<<URL:http://www.glinx.com/~hclsmith/>