Subject: Re: Netbooting questions
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1999 21:50:10
>>>>> "fission" == fission  <fission@mb.sympatico.ca> writes:
    fission> box set up so that my Mac could netboot from it.  I have bootpd and tftpd
    fission> set up, no problem.

    fission> Here is where I get confused:

    fission> #/etc/exports
    fission> /export/client/root client.test.net(rw,no_root_squash)
    fission> /export/client/swap client.test.net(rw,no_root_squash)
    fission> /export/client/usr client.test.net(rw,root_squash)
    fission> /export/client/home client.test.net(rw,root_squash)

    fission> 1) Why is /root and /swap "no_root_squash", and /usr and /home not?

  no_root_squash allows root to read/write. Since the kernel needs to read
the root partition, and needs to use swap, and it does it as uid=0, you need
no_root_squash.
  The other file systems do not need root write permissions, so why be more
permissive than necessary.

    fission> 2) Instead of having four separate mount points, why not just put
    fission> everything on root?  I mean, chances are they're all going to be on the
    fission> same filesystem on the host, right?

  Yes, they could, but by listing all them one gurantees that it will work
even if someone doesn't put them on the same file system.

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|  firewalls  [