Subject: Apollo printer?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1999 16:00:27
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had tried to get the Apollo P-1200 printers to
work under NetBSD. I first tried to see if I could get simple ASCII test to
print by doing a:
cat file.txt > /dev/lpt0

At that, I heard the print head moving around a bit, & then the "replace
print cartrige" light started blinking. Now, I had just unpacked this thing
from the store, with a new cartrige, so I knew that wasn't the case. Same
thing with "lptest > /dev/lpt0". I then turned off the power & turned it on
while holding the button for the print cartrige, which printed a nice test
page with the 3 colors and the numbered slanting line (standard test page).
Not having any experience with printcap entries, I first tried "just the
basics" of

lp|Apollo:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/apollo:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Then I tried to "lp file.txt". This gave the same results, after I had
started lpd. Just the blinking light.

The specs on the printer are that it's an extremely low-end Hewlet Packard
printer which uses PCL level 3, connected with a parallel cable, black
resolution of 600*300 LQ, 150*300 draft, color resolution of 300*300 LQ &
150*300 draft. There's built-in mem of 16 Kbyte, 48 Kbyte receiver
buffer... Uses all PC-based fonts plus built-in fonts Portrait and
Landscape: Courier...Portrait only: CG Times and Letter Gothic.

Is there anywhere that has a list of printcaps that people have found to
work? I know that many ISP's carry lists of init strings & connect scripts
to save each & every person from having to reinvent the wheel. I would
think that someone would have done the same thing for printcap entries.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.