Subject: Re: Netbooting questions
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1999 11:15:17
On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 10:32:07PM -0500, fission wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was just going through the Diskless NetBSD howto, trying to get my Linux
> box set up so that my Mac could netboot from it.  I have bootpd and tftpd
> set up, no problem.
>
> Here is where I get confused:
>
> #/etc/exports
> /export/client/root client.test.net(rw,no_root_squash)
> /export/client/swap client.test.net(rw,no_root_squash)
> /export/client/usr client.test.net(rw,root_squash)
> /export/client/home client.test.net(rw,root_squash)
>
> 1) Why is /root and /swap "no_root_squash", and /usr and /home not?

Because the host needs root credential for /root (/etc is here) and /swap
(obvious :) For /usr and /home it's not needed.

> 2) Instead of having four separate mount points, why not just put
> everything on root?  I mean, chances are they're all going to be on the
> same filesystem on the host, right?

/root (for /etc) and /swap are per-host, /usr and /home can be shared (/usr
can even be mounted read-only, for /home I'm not sure it makes sense :)
If you only have one machine sure this has less interest.
However, /swap usually a file, not a directory. It's just the traditional way
of doing thing.