Subject: Is the NCR/Symbioslogic Controller 53C876E compatible with NetBSD 1.4?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Hostmaster ViP <hostmaster@vip.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/09/1999 16:54:32
Hello!

I've a problem to access an integrated Symbios Logic 53C876 Dual Channel =
Ultra (one wide, one narrow) SCSI-Controller (Bios PCI-4.10.04) on an =
Intel N440BX-board. I've to use the narrow channel with a Quantum Drive =
34550(ID 0). The rest of the on-board hardware seemes to be no problem =
(Intel EtherExpress 10/100, FDD, CL-Graphic CL5480, I/O-peripherals). =
I've activated the P&P support in the Phoenix-Bios.

The 1.4 install-kernal is always recognizing BOTH channels of the =
controller, even if I disable the wide-channel in the SymbiosLogic =
Config. The wide channel is allocating IRQ 10 as an NCR 53C875 on ncr0, =
the narrow channel is allocatin IRQ5 also as an NCR 53C875. It's =
scanning both of the channels, no problems with the scsibus0 (ncr0 (wide =
and empty)) channel, but with the scsibus1 (ncr1 (narrow and drive on =
ID0)) there is a line ncr1:0 abort job, and a register dump on ncr1:0:0 =
(COMMAND FAILED 9 ff), than a 'Probe Error'. The drive then will be =
printed out correctly as sd0: QUANTUM ...., but followed by a 'sd0: =
drive offline' statement. This error-messages are always the same, even =
if I moved the drive to ID1, the error-message stays on ncr1:0:0, the =
drive will be recognized correctly but stated 'off line'...=20

My last idea would be moving the drive to the wide-cannel (with an =
adapter) and check it out there, since I found no way to config the =
board so that the narrow-channel be recognized as ncr0
and check it out this way...

Do you have any other suggestions to get this thing to work (maybe =
generate an install-kernal with some of the additional NCR-Options set)?

mfg
Martin Wallner (=3Dmw=3D)

-----
ViP EDV-Dienstleistungs GesmbH      e-mail 'hostmaster@vip.at'
Dom=E4nen-, IP- u. Userwartung ViP    RIPE:     WM355-RIPE
Stephensong. 1/4                    InterNIC: WM327-ORG
1210 Wien                           Tel. +43 1 257 3317 Fax: Dw. 99