Subject: Re: recent boot.fs for 1.4?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/08/1999 10:58:18
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
> > Is there a more recent boot.fs image around with
> > a fixed/patched/updated sysinst that would allow
> > for an upgrade sans sysinst.core?
>
> I'm upgrading a box to the NetBSD-release branch (what will be 1.4.1).
> As soon as it's done (make build on it should not take more than
> 3 hours) I'll build a boot floppy image. It *should* be better than the one
> in 1.4, but as my install test box is dead I can't test it rigth now.

The problem that causes sysinst to croak when upgrading old
installations (1.3.2 and earlier, i dunno about 1.3.3) to 1.4.x has
_NOT_ been fixed.

The problem has been analyzed (see
http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=7608), but I
don't feel that I have enough knowledge about the x86 MBR code and how
sysinst manipulates the MBR to make a fix for it myself.  (It'd be
... a fairly bad thing to get wrong.  I could undoubtedly learn, but,
to be honest, i don't _want_ to know.)

Anyway, I've been trying to get fvdl to look at this for a
while... more than 2 weeks unless i'm mistaken.

cgd