Subject: Re: HELP:1.4 not booting multi user
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1999 09:39:16
David Wetzel writes:
> > From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
>
> > What's the last thing (before the: "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for
> > sh: "
> > line) on the console?
>
> This line does not come up.

Huh?? Hmm....  what is the last thing you see on the console then, before th
"#" prompt?

> The system just boots and starts a sh.

Ok, something is very weird then...  If you hit CTRL-d, does the system
continue to boot??

> I am currently getting a new base.tgz and will install that over and see
> what happens.
>
> BTW: I have 128MB real RAM in the Box and my swap is
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
> /dev/sd1a      205078    12820   192258     6%    0
>
> is this not enough for my raid?

That should be lots, depending on what you're doing with the system...
(you probably want to use /dev/sd1b instead of /dev/sd1a though.. )
but in the 'dmesg' output you provided, you said:
> real mem  = 15335424
> avail mem = 11444224
> using 212 buffers containing 868352 bytes of memory

which means that you're only using less than 16MB of that 128MB..
(change your ALICE config to include the line:

options        REALEXTMEM=130048

) and rebuild the kernel.  That should let you use all 128MB.

Later...

Greg Oster