Subject: Re: HELP:1.4 not booting multi user
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1999 08:52:12
David Wetzel writes:
> Hi,
>
> what are possible reasons for not booting into multi user mode?

There are a few (rc_configured=NO in /etc/rc.conf, filesystems with serious
problems,...)... but unfortunately the info you provide doesn't help
track down where it stopped... (your output does show that the RAID set
was configured, albeit that it thinks the RAID set is unclean (which a) is a
little bogus for RAID level 0, but b) means that you likely had an unclean
shutdown at some point).  (Making the RAID set clean is easily done with:

  raidctl -i raid0

On a RAID0, the above should trivially succeed (and set the "clean" flag while
it's at it))

> this is the dmesg output
[snip]
> ------------
>
> my /etc/raid0.conf is this:
[snip]
> START queue
> fifo 1
> ------

BTW: Change the 1 to something like 10, and you should see a bit of a
performance increase.

> The box worked, I rebooted it again after some work and now, it goes only
> into single user mode :-(

What's the last thing (before the: "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: "
line) on the console?  For example, have all the disks been fsck'ed
successfully?

Later...

Greg Oster