Subject: X dying? Power saving?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wenchi Liao <wliao@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/02/1999 10:13:52
Hello.

More issues with netbsd (1.4) and power saving. The machine
is a micron millennia mme, and a pentium mmx. It is using
the X from the install, and SVGA server. It has a custom
kernel, which is basically the GENERIC kernel sans scsi,
pcmcia, etc, and with apm.

From the command line, I can initiate standby and suspend
with apm -s|-z. If I press a key or move the mouse, things
come back to life.

If I leave the machine for a few hours, apmd kicks it into
suspend/standby mode and all is fine.

If I leave the machine on overnight and come back the next
morning, the machine isn't on suspend/standby. The screen
is ``blank'' like X's screen saver, and the monitor is
still on (as opposed to energy save mode in
standby/suspend).

I've swapped the capslock and the control keys. When the
screen is blank per above, and I hit the capslock key, it
actually behaves like a capslock key.  So I know the X
server is dead. I can't reach the machine over the network,
either. At this point, the machine is effectively dead, and
I have to reboot.

I know there are cron jobs that run in the night. Could
these somehow confuse apm? I also have AMANDA trying to
take backups over the network in the night as well. It
doesn't seem to succeed, but I haven't been able to look at
the logs (stored in /tmp, which gets cleared on reboot).

WL