Subject: Re: more ISAPnP modem weirdness
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1999 18:15:32
>>>>> "Manuel" == Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:

Manuel> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 09:33:32PM -0600, Chris Jones wrote:
Jones> The modem, when it's in ISAPnP mode, is seen by Windows on IRQ
Jones> 10.  NetBSD sees it on IRQ 4.  But at that point, IRQ 4 is
Jones> already assigned to com0, the built-in serial port.  This
Jones> doesn't change, regardless of whether I assign IRQ 4 to legacy
Jones> ISA, and regardless of whether I enable "PnP OS."

Jones> NetBSD's just reading the IRQ assignment from the BIOS, right?
Jones> But it sure doesn't seem like the BIOS is assigning 4 to the
Jones> card.

Manuel> No, it doesn't for isa pnp. This way you can put a isapnp
Manuel> board in a machine even is the bios doesn't support it.

Okay, cool.  I had that explained to me once already, but I didn't
quite get it.

>>  If I put the card on (DOS) COM1, and disable the on-board COM1, I
>> get a panic "cannot share level-triggered with edge-triggered."

Manuel> This is because the BIOS assigned com1's irq to a PCI device I
Manuel> think.  Try to assign irq4 to ISA device in the bios.

Okay.  I have the modem working now.  I've figured out that part of
what I was doing wrong was using cu to try to talk to the modem.  :)

But, while it works just fine as com2, it still doesn't work in
ISAPnP.  Shouldn't it get allocated an unused IRQ by NetBSD?  In PnP
mode, it gets assigned IRQ 4, which is already taken by com0.

Basically, I'm happy with the device now -- I know that I can get it
to work.  But I wouldn't mind figuring out how to get it to work in
PnP mode, just on general principles.  Anybody interested in helping?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu