Subject: Re: distributed authentication methods
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1999 10:22:20
In message <199907011512.JAA07475@trillium.nmsu.edu>, Brook Milligan writes:
>I would like to set up some NetBSD boxes to authenticate via
>DNS/radiusd (or perhaps DNS/kerberos).  I presume this means altering
>the sources to login, ftp, telnet, rlogin, ... so that they will
>contact the authentication server (nsswitch.conf provides the access
>mechanism for the DNS info, right?).  Are there any regularly
>distributed sources for such clients?  If so, where?
>
>Also, any suggestions on setting up such a scheme would be welcome.

You might want to look at the ever-competing PAM and BSD Authentication
things; code is available for both, and a general solution to this problem
would pay off well.

PAM is being used in Linux and Solaris.  BSD Authentication is used in
BSD/OS.  Partisans on both sides claim technical superiority.  I prefer
BSD Auth, because:
1.  You can write trivial shell scripts.
2.  Authentication methods can be setuid, so programs using them don't have
to be.

-s