Subject: Re: RAID-support in hardware?
To: None <support@oeko.net>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/30/1999 16:09:44
>>>>> "Toni" == Toni Mueller <support@oeko.net> writes:

Toni> we are looking into building a server that must be heavy
Toni> duty. The server should have some 30-50 GB disk space used by
Toni> data bases and for NFS or so (CODA?, SMB), and must be very
Toni> reliable as well as fast. Looking at your list of SCSI devices I
Toni> can't find anything about supported RAID controllers. A
Toni> statement would be very welcome.

I'd recommend an external RAID controller.  It's a device with at
least two SCSI buses, typically.  It makes a bunch of hard drives on
one side of it look like one big hard drive on the other side.  The
good ones have battery-backed cache memory, which can do some
wonderful things for performance, especially with NFS.

I hear the CMD RAID canisters are very good.  I've also used the Mylex
ones, which are a pain to configure, and the Adaptec ones, which
people claim aren't as reliable as they should be.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu