Subject: Re: Install Epson Photo Stylus 700
To: A. van Eersel <avaneersel@maxfort.com>
From: Mike Pelley <mikep@winddance.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/1999 10:34:42
A. van Eersel said:

> I would like to have some color if possible. I wanted to print an
> Excel sheet via samba. It used to work on my Linux machine.

When you print from a windows machine to a samba printer, the print job from
the windows machine contains all the formatting codes, including colour and
so on.  The key is to pass the print job that comes in from the windows
machine directly to the printer without modifying it at all.  If you add a
"raw" printer to printcap, like so:

raw|Network Printer:\

:rw:sh:sf:mx#0:lp=/dev/lpa0:sd=/var/printer/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Be careful to adjust the lp and sd parameters to your environment.  Then you
can add this printer to your smb.conf, like so:

[Printer]
   comment = Network Printer
   path = /var/printer/lpd
   printer = raw
   public = no
   read only = yes
   printable = yes

Again, adjust any settings to your liking.  After this, you should be able
to print to your printer from samba using colour and such.

To print to your printer with ghostscript, a printcap line similar to:

psprint|Postscript Printer:\
        :rw:sh:mx#0:lp=/dev/lpa0:sd=/var/printer/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/var/printer/filter/psprint:

should work fine, with a /var/printer/filter/psprint like so:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bj10e -r300 -sOutputFile=- -
&& exit 0

You will have to change the bj10e to your printer driver and some of the
options as well.

Good Luck!

Mike.