Subject: NetBSD newbie sup/make world questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/27/1999 00:46:41
Hi,

I'm new here, although I'm used to running -stable and -current releases
of FreeBSD. Some quick pointers on staying stable or current on NetBSD
would be appreciated..

1. In /etc/supfiles/coll.list, I have:

  current release=allsrc host=sup.au.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp \
      base=/usr prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix compress

  current release=pkgsrc host=sup.au.netbsd.org hostbase=/ftp \
      base=/usr prefix=/usr backup use-rel-suffix compress delete

Now, I'm pretty sure what I want to do is keep stable on 1.4 rather
than running current. How do I specify this? Do I need to use a
different tag to "current"?

Does "staying stable" have the same meaning in NetBSD as it does in
FreeBSD? Are -current changes (for example) rolled back into the 1.4
tree, to be picked up by stable-trackers?

2. With FreeBSD, a "make buildworld" in /usr/src would build bootstrap
tools (linkers, compilers, whatever) and then proceed to build userland
in /usr/obj -- a "make installworld" would then do the installation.

Is NetBSD radically different from this? From the comments in
/usr/src/Makefile, it looks like DESTDIR (which defaults to "/")
specifies the intermediate build directory (the FreeBSD /usr/obj).
Now, presumably I am out to lunch in saying this, but it would be
good if someone could confirm that I am :)

Oh, I have NetBSD/sparc installed right now (on a SPARCstation IPX).

Thanks,

Joe