Subject: Re: Parallel port programming
To: Murray Armfield <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/24/1999 09:50:23
> I'm trying to talk to a device I built on my parallel port and I don't
know
> how to go about it on NetBSD. I have looked at some of the system headers
> etc and tried guessing a few approaches but I am out of ideas / nothing
> seems to work.
>        Can anyone help point me in the right direction ?

On i386 I am trying to do a similar thing and I use the following
functions:
     i386_get_ioperm()
     i386_set_ioperm()
to get access to the parallel port(s).  Then I use:
     inb()
     outb()
to do I/O.  I don't know if it's the right way to go but it works (as root
only).
You can find example in  "Priority and speed (Long...)" in the port-i386
mailing
list (June).  I have no idea for other architectures, maybe there are
similar
functions.

Information on the parallel port (and many links) at
http://www.senet.com.au/~cpeacock/
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/par/index.html#index

Ciao,
Federico Lupi